Issue - meetings
Leisure Strategy - Parish Schedule Consultation
The report provides Members with details of feedback from town and parish councils in response to the Leisure Strategy Parish Schedule Engagement in March 2017. The information will help to evidence local need and ensure appropriate Section 106 developer contributions are secured from relevant developments.
The Policy Manager for Leisure, Libraries and Countryside delivered a presentation outlining the response from the Parish Schedules consultation which sought details of town and parish projects to enable officers to seek Section 106 developer contributions from new developments. The Executive Member advised there had only been 20 Parish Council responses, some of which lacked the project information requested, however officers had subsequently provided advice to councils with further projects identified. Members were advised that the request for project information would be repeated annually but parishes could submit project information at any time.
In light of the presentation Members discussed the following in summary: -
· Concerns at the low response rate from Parish Councils and whether they lacked the expertise to provide costed project information.
· Whether Parish Councils understood the impact of not submitting their priority project information and the importance of the local authority and Ward Members communicating with the relevant Parish Councils in order to ensure schemes were brought forward.
· That if parishes did not submit any priority projects, contributions from new developments would be sought for a strategic facility where it benefitted that particular parish and the wider area.
· That despite no official requests being received from Potton Parish Council or some other towns, officers and Ward Members were working closely with those who wanted projects in those areas to ensure developer contributions were sought to facilitate projects.
· That it would be useful to include indicative costings for common projects within the next iteration of the consultation document.
1. That on receipt of new planning applications, the Committee support the endorsement of the Parish Schedules and Outdoor Sport Priority Project List as the point of reference for Leisure Services in identifying recreational open space and outdoor sports projects to which Section 106 developer contributions are sought.
2. That on receipt of new planning applications, the Committee support the endorsement of the process whereby, if no local priority project has been identified, Leisure Services may seek Section 106 developer contributions towards the identified strategic priority project within the catchment of that parish.
Cllr Graham abstained from the vote.