Issue - meetings
Planning Application No. CB/18/00643/OUT (Potton)
Address: The White Hart Hotel, Northbridge Street, Shefford, SG17 5DH
The development of 3 detached new dwelling houses.
Applicant: REL Group Ltd
The Committee had before it a report regarding Planning Application No. CB/18/00464/FULL, an application for the development of three detached dwellings at The White Heart Hotel, North Bridge Street, Shefford, SG17 5DH.
In advance of consideration of the application the Committees attention was drawn to additional consultation/publicity responses as set out in the Late Sheet.
In advance of consideration of the application the Committee received representations from Shefford Town Council and the applicant under the public participation scheme.
A ward Member addressed the Committee with the following points:
· The site had been eliminated from consideration for inclusion within the Local Plan as it was on a flood plain.
· With regard to windfall development, he noted that there were over 60 new properties being developed in Shefford, all of which fell below the government requirement to supply contribution/community funding as they were developments of 10 or less dwellings.
· He referred to a previous approved application in Shefford in which the education contribution would be used to transport children out of the local area to school due to lack of places at local schools. He noted that the children from this development would be subject to the same issues and would have to travel to school at the expense of the Council.
· He raised concerns about the guarantees of the flood mitigations and their effects on the existing dwellings.
· He noted that the size of the plots and gardens went against the Councils design guidelines.
· On the basis of the points raised above, he asked Members to reject the application.
The Planning Officer responded to points raised by the public speakers and the ward Member as follows:
· In relation to the garden size of Plot 1, the Officer noted although they did not strictly comply with the design guidelines, there was some flexibility within those standards, an example given was if the site was an infill site. The Plot did however comply with the guidelines in the overall area of the garden size. It was also noted that as a condition, the right for permitted development on plot 1 would be removed to maintain adequate amenity space.
· He noted that the application could not be considered against the emerging Local Plan, as a different process was used to consider sites for allocation into the Local Plan.
· With regards to flood risk, it was noted the Environment Agency had raised no objections to the flood risk assessment, they felt that the recommendations within the report were acceptable and they have been conditioned within the application.
· With regards to schooling, it was noted that as the development was for three houses, the NPPF guidance was against any education contribution being sought from a development of that scale.
A Member noted that design guidelines cannot be seen to bind the hands of an Authority, especially when demand for properties in the area was phenomenal. He noted that the Environment Agency was satisfied with the flood risk recommendations and he recommended the application be moved for ... view the full minutes text for item 33
Address: Land east of 7 Biggleswade Road, Dunton, Biggleswade,
Outline: Erection of two detached two-storey dwellings. All matters reserved except for means of access.
Applicant: Central Bedfordshire Council
The Committee had before it a report regarding planning application No. CB/18/0064/OUT, an outline application for the erection of two detached two-storey dwellings with all matters reserved except for means of access at Land East of 7 Biggleswade Road, Dunton, Biggleswade, SG18 8RL.
In advance of consideration of the application the Committees attention was drawn to additional comments as set out in the Late Sheet.
In advance of consideration of the application the Committee received representations from an objector and an agent for the applicant under the public participation scheme.
A Member asked the agent for clarification about his statement referring to more efficient use of the site, the agent responded that two dwellings would maximise the capacity of the site to provide additional housing.
A Member asked why the application has changed from one house to two, the agent replied that since the original application, the character of the area had changed and the site would be more suited to two dwellings.
In response to the objectors comments, the Planning Officer responded as follows:
· With regards to objections on the basis of policy DM3 and DM4, it was stated that DM3 does allow more than one dwelling therefore falls within the policy. With recent changes within the area, the proposed application was not out of character with existing properties therefore is within policy DM4.
· It was noted that Right to Light is a legal matter not a planning matter. However consideration of any impact on light would be taken into account at the Reserved Matters stage.
· With regards to concerns about two houses destroying the open feeling of the area, the Officer noted that recent changes had changed the mix of character within the area and although the plans are indicative only, the developer should take on board the feeling that the dwellings are somewhat cramped and address that in Reserve Matters.
· In response to comments relating to precedents set within area, the officer responded that the application has been assessed against the existing character of the area.
A Member stated that there was nothing disgraceful about being efficient with the use of land as people do need to be accommodated. He noted that it was right to be driving forward with the Councils own density figures and it should set the pace for the rest of the Authority.
A Member added that it was not a good layout and he did not agree with the principle of two dwellings on this site. It was noted by the Chairman that the layout was indicative.
On being put to the vote 7 Members voted for approval, 1 voted against and 4 abstained.
That the planning application No. CB/18/0064/OUT, an outline application for the erection of two detached two-storey dwellings with all matters reserved except for means of access at Land East of 7 Biggleswade Road, Dunton, Biggleswade, SG18 8RL, be approved as set out in the Schedule attached to these minutes.