Issue - meetings
Parking Management Strategy
The Committee is asked to consider the status of the ongoing work to develop a Council Parking Management Strategy.
The Director for Community Services delivered a presentation which set out the policies required in order to create a new parking strategy for Central Bedfordshire. There was a need to consider the landscape of towns and villages within the region and the impact of the increase in car use and ownership. Following the outcome of a public consultation there was a requirement to revisit school travel plans in order that parking around schools could be managed more effectively. These was also a requirement to provide bespoke solutions for verge parking as there were differing needs in each area. It was vital that the Council took a proactive approach to the issue, that stakeholder expectations were managed and that timelines for delivery were clear.
In light of the presentation Members discussed the following in summary:-
· The importance of supporting residents where parking was particularly challenging and the use of an area based, flexible approach where the design of a town or village did not facilitate major changes in the delivery of future parking solutions.
· The need for greater partnership working with the police to address instances of footway parking and obstructions.
· The need for additional lorry parks to address the issue of lay-by parking and effluence and waste being deposited in residential areas.
· The need for a joined-up approach with planners to mitigate parking around schools and the importance of any concerns in this regard being reported so that they could be addressed in a timely manner.
· That timelines for delivery be made available via the Minutes of the meeting.
· The importance of progressing the implementation of those residential parking zones (RPZ) that had already been agreed.
· That need to give consideration be given to one way systems where appropriate.
RECOMMENDED that the Committee support the next steps as set out within the presentation.