Agenda and minutes
Venue: Room 14 - Priory House, Monks Walk, Shefford, SG17 5TQ
Contact: Jonathon Partridge 0300 300 4634
Appointment of Chairman
To appoint a Chairman for the process of the recruitment of a Monitoring Officer.
AGREED that Cllr J Lawrence be appointed Chairman for the duration of this process of appointing the Monitoring Officer.
Apologies for Absence
To receive any apologies for the meeting.
To receive from Members any declarations of interest.
Cllr Wenham declared an interest as a shareholder representative on LGSS Law Ltd.
To review the process to be followed with regard the appointment of a Monitoring Officer.
The Chief Executive advised Members that the Council had been operating with an Acting Monitoring Officer for some months and now wished to make a permanent appointment. The Sub-Committee was asked to consider the process to be undertaken in order to make a permanent appointment. Members were reminded of the current arrangements with LGSS Law Ltd, which included the provision of Monitoring Officer support to the Council.
In light of the report Members discussed the following: -
· The desirability or otherwise of a single candidate being put forward by LGSS Law Ltd;
· Confirmation that the Acting Monitoring Officer was employed by LGSS Law Ltd, as would be the permanent appointee;
· The arrangements through which notice of the appointment proposed by the Appointment Sub-Committee would be provided to Executive Members as part of the ‘well-founded objections’ process; and
· Confirmation that role criteria and suggested questions would be provided to the Sub-Committee to support an interview process.
1. That LGSS Law Ltd be invited to put forward more than one candidate for the post of Monitoring Officer.
2. That should either of the candidates interviewed be suitable, to confirm their appointment to the position of Monitoring Officer for Central Bedfordshire Council and their designation as the Council’s Monitoring Officer.