Future of Ampthill Older Persons Day Centre and the Public Consultation Outcome
- Meeting of SOCIAL CARE, HEALTH & HOUSING OVERVIEW & SCRUTINY COMMITTEE, Monday, 26 November 2018 10.00 a.m. (Item 126.)
- View the background to item 126.
To consider the outcome of the consultation into the future of the Ampthill Day Centre and make recommendations to a future meeting of the Executive.
The Head of MANOP introduced a comprehensive report on the Older Persons Day offer in principle and specifically on the current arrangements in Ampthill. Pilot schemes on new day care offer had been carried out, feedback from the residents and staff had been collated as well as a full public consultation.
In response to concerns raised by Members, the Head of MANOP provided the following responses:-
· It was recognised the size of the current day centre accommodation was too big, it continued to be a life line to local residents and other users of the facilities.
· A Member was disappointed that the current site was not being considered as a health hub for the area and was also concerned at the loss of facilities for Ampthill and beyond, taking into account the growing population. This was not however in the scope of the review of the use of the Ampthill Day Centre.’
· Whilst the sample of feed back to the consultation was small, all those customers who had been able to give a view were provided with help to do so.
The Executive Member for Adult Social Care advised it was the Council wished to move to a better offer for residents, some of whom had welcomed a session at the Silsoe Horticultural facility.
· Acknowledges there has been an acceptable consultation with a mixed response to the preferred option
· Asks that cognisance is taken of those concerned about retaining friendships, travel distance
· Needs reassurance that the facilities at Silsoe are sufficient and the interaction with horticulture service users is well managed.
· While there has been a mixed response, look at the result of the pilots and recognise that the hub and spoke approach will be more flexible to meet modern day client’s needs and improve the Council’s offer.
- Future of Ampthill Day Centre, item 126. PDF 290 KB
- Appendix 1 - Day Offer Key Components and Principles, item 126. PDF 23 KB
- Appendix 2 - Have your Say on the Future of Ampthill Day Centre, item 126. PDF 697 KB
- Appendix 4 - Ampthill Day Centre Consultation Mid Point Update, item 126. PDF 550 KB
- Appendix 5 - The Future of Ampthill Day Centre Consultation Response Report, item 126. PDF 470 KB
- Appendix 6 - Ampthill Older People Day Opportunity pre-consultation EIA, item 126. PDF 266 KB
- Background Paper 1 - Ampthill Pilot Evaluation Report, item 126. PDF 2 MB
- Background Paper 2a - Day Offer Easier Read Have Your Say, item 126. PDF 1 MB