Planning Application No. CB/18/02298/OUT (Shefford)
- Meeting of DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE, Wednesday, 7 November 2018 10.00 a.m. (Item 87.)
- View the background to item 87.
Address: Land West of Hitchin Road, Shefford
Nearest Postcode: SG17 5JB
Outline Application for up to 150 new homes and provision of a new lower school site following demolition of existing site buildings (including No19 Queen Elizabeth Close) (all matters reserved except access).
Applicant: Warden Developments Limited
The Committee had before it a report regarding Planning Application No. CB/18/02298/OUT an outline application for up to 150 new homes and provision of a lower school site following demolition of existing site buildings (including No19 Queen Elizabeth Close) (all matters reserved except access) at Land West of Hitchin Road Shefford, nearest post code, SG17 5JB.
In advance of consideration of the application the Committee’s attention was drawn to additional consultation and additional comments as set out in the Late Sheet as well as representations from public speakers.
The public speakers included a representation in objection from Town Councillor Ken Pollard and a representation in objection from Ian Rawet.
Committee Members discussed the following points:
• The main concern of local residents represented at the meeting was the demolition of No 19 Queen Elizabeth Close. The Planning Officer reported that the provision of an access through Queen Elizabeth Close was not necessary, for the reasons set out in the Committee Report. Planners were asked to strengthen condition 14 which explained there would be no access via Queen Elizabeth Close, but Permitted Development Rights of the existing dwellings would prohibit this. The Planning Officer was satisfied that the condition was adequate as it stood.
• Members noted there were concerns of traffic speeding in the area surrounding proposed access, as reported in the speed survey. The Planning Officer drew the Committees attention to Condition 7 which specifies a roundabout and condition 8 which specifies a zebra crossing be provided in immediate vicinity of the roundabouts northern arm, both to be constructed before the occupation of any dwelling.
• A Ward Member made a number of recommendations to be considered as part of the Reserve Matters application. The Planning Officers agreed to take these forward as informative to the applicant and for Ward Members to be involved in the detailed application stage.
• Members discussed the benefits of this application, in particular, the provision of a school site and the NHS contribution within the proposed S106 agreement.
• Members addressed the Education Officer in attendance to clarify when the school could be delivered. It was envisaged this would be in 2021 but that would depend on additional funding. The Planning Officer noted that the transfer of land for the school to the council would happen within a certain time limit and the trigger points for funding contributions for the school would be front loaded.
• Members agreed that construction times as set out in Condition 1 should be truncated and the Planning Officer agreed to have a discussion with the applicant.
• Members were disappointed that the application did not include condition for Public Art provision. It was noted that the policy is still being developed. Members agreed that the condition should be included and the Planning Officer would add this to the application should Members be minded to approve.
• Members agreed to move as set out with the additions of condition 1 being amended to reflect truncation of construction times, with the addition of a condition for Public Art provision and the comments given by the Ward Member being added as informative to the applicant.
On being put to the vote for APPROVAL, 11 voted in favour, 0 against and 1 abstention.
That the Planning Application No. CB/18/02298/OUT at Land West of Hitchin Road Shefford, nearest post code, SG17 5JB, be approved as set out in the schedule attached to these minutes.
- Item 6 - 18.02298 Map, item 87. PDF 904 KB
- Item 6 - 18.02298.OUT Report, item 87. PDF 232 KB
- Item 6 Schedule, item 87. PDF 79 KB