Planning Application No. CB/18/01628/OUT (Arlesey)
- Meeting of DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE, Wednesday, 7 November 2018 10.00 a.m. (Item 90.)
- View the background to item 90.
Address: Land off Hitchin Lane, Clifton
Nearest Postcode: SG17 5RS
Outline Application – Proposed residential development of 24 units and all ancillary works.
Applicant: J.C.Gill Developments Ltd
The Committee had before it a report regarding Planning Application No. CB/18/01628/OUT an outline application for development of 22 units and all ancillary works at Land off Hitchin Road, Clifton, nearest postcode SG17 5RS.
In advance of consideration of the application the Committee’s attention was drawn to additional comments and amended conditions as set out in the Late Sheet as well as representations from public speakers. The Committee were also verbally updated on the revised wording of condition 7.
The public speakers included a representation in objection from Parish Councillor Ray Dart and a representation in objection from Roger Manning.
Committee Members discussed the following points:
• Concerns over Hitchin Lane becoming a rat run to access the A507 and parking issues in Hitchin Lane were discussed. The Planning officer advised that the Highway Authority has raised no objection to this proposal in relation to highway safety or capacity. Any link road between New Road and Hitchin Lane is subject to a separate application which has yet to be determined, and although a material consideration the impact of such a link is not caused by this proposal.
• It was advised that the proposed development would need to meet the Council’s car parking standards, whereby the existing on street car parking on Hitchin Lane should therefore not be made materially worse. Any improvements to car parking provision for existing properties on Hitchin Lane was beyond the existing scope of the application and it would not be reasonable to impose an obligation or condition upon this development that would require such improvements.
• It was alleged that the nearby ‘Crown Pub’ roundabout was at capacity in the mornings. The Highways officer responded that as the application was for 22 dwellings there had been no requirement for a transport assessment (the threshold is 50 dwellings). He added that due to the scale of the proposal that the development would not have a severe impact on the capacity of the highway network and would therefore be considered acceptable.
• Advice was sought in relation as to whether it was reasonable to require traffic calming on Hitchin Lane and whether this could be shared with the Mears site. It was advised by the Planning and Highways Officers that any link road between New Road and Hitchin Lane is subject to a separate application which has yet to be determined, and although a material consideration the impact of such a link is not caused by this proposal. It was advised that the outline planning permission and S106 agreements for the Mears Development had already been issued and signed, whereby no additional conditions or obligations from that development could be imposed. It was advised that an obligation or condition would need to pass the relevant tests which include whether the traffic calming measures were reasonable and necessary. It was advised that such obligations upon a cul-de-sac development would not generate traffic which would make traffic calming reasonable or necessary. Members determined not to seek such conditions or obligations from the development.
• Members agreed to move as set out with the amendment of condition 10 and 14 in the late sheet and condition 7 as advised by the Planning Officer.
On being put to the vote for APPROVAL, 8 voted in favour, 3 against and 1 abstention.
That the Planning Application No. CB/18/01628/OUT at Land off Hitchin Road, Clifton, nearest postcode SG17 5RS, be approved as set out in the schedule attached to these minutes.
- Item 8 - 18.01628 MAP, item 90. PDF 160 KB
- Item 8 - 18.01628 Report, item 90. PDF 223 KB
- Item 8 - Schedule, item 90. PDF 68 KB